COVID-19 is a global pandemic that has caused many deaths. Testing is key in the fight against the deadly disease. If you are looking to find laboratory services in Otsego, MN, the team of professionals at GatherWell Rapid COVID Testing is on the frontline in this fight.
What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is a highly contagious disease that is caused by the coronavirus. It is spread mainly through saliva droplets and nose discharge. Transmission of the virus occurs when:
- You have physical contact with an infected person
- You touch a surface containing the virus and touch your eyes, nose, or mouth
- An infected person sneezes close to you and disperses saliva droplets into the surrounding air
Several factors determine the severity of this illness. They include:
- Age. Older people develop this illness severely.
- Medical conditions like diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular disease, and acute respiratory disease.
If you have contracted the virus, you may exhibit a few symptoms that include:
- Loss of taste and smell. However, this does not indicate you have the coronavirus because it is common when you have the flu and cold.
- Fatigue. You will get weak and small tasks will be overwhelming to your body.
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- Runny nose
- Loss of appetite
If you exhibit a number of these symptoms, you should visit your health professional at GatherWell, where you will get tested for COVID-19.
To test for the coronavirus, your doctor will require you to be at the testing site during the scheduled time. You will discuss the testing options with your health specialist. Examples are:
PCR or molecular testing
This test detects the virus by use of a technique called Polymerase Chain Reaction. For testing, you will spit into a tube to provide a sample, or your doctor will insert a nasopharyngeal swab inside your nostril to collect fluid from the back of your nose. Molecular testing analyzes the sample by amplifying the specimen to discover the coronavirus. Your test results will be ready after a few minutes.
This test is used to detect specific proteins in the virus. Your doctor will insert a long nasal swab to get a sample for testing. Test results will be ready in minutes or could take longer if sent to the lab for analysis. In case of any uncertainties, your doctor will recommend a molecular test to confirm your results.
Antibody or serology test
Serology is a test used to check for antibodies. Your health specialist at GatherWell will take a sample of your blood to check if you have contracted the coronavirus before.
After the test, your results may come out as positive or negative. If you test positive for the virus, your doctor will recommend that you isolate yourself to avoid spreading it to other people. When your results are negative, you will take some measures to prevent contracting the virus. For example:
- Regularly wash your hands thoroughly using water and an antibacterial soap
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose
- Wear a face mask when in public
- Keep distance from people
- Stay at home
- Follow COVID-19 travel instructions by local authorities
- Sanitize your hands using an alcohol-based sanitizer
- Clean your work surfaces regularly
Schedule an appointment with your health specialist at GatherWell Rapid COVID Testing
to get tested for COVID-19 to protects yourself and others.