Most women know that it is important to see their OB/GYN regularly. However, making that appointment can be intimidating, which means many women avoid visiting the OB/GYN altogether. It is essential, though, for women to make those important appointments.
Important reasons to make an appointment with your OB/GYN in Brooklyn, NY
- Maintain your overall health: Women should start seeing an OB/GYN annually at the age of 13, according to The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. These visits include an examination that checks a woman’s vital signs and determines her body mass index. An OB/GYN will palpate the abdomen and inguinal lymph nodes and make an assessment of the woman’s overall health. Sometimes a pelvic examination and clinical tests are performed, too. These regular exams will help you stay on top of your health.
- Pregnancy: Once you know you are pregnant, it is important to see your OB/GYN to keep make sure the pregnancy is documented correctly and everything is fine every step of the way.
- Problems with menstruation: If you are having irregular periods, painful periods, or other problems during menstruation, it is important to consult your OB/GYN. If these problems are ignored, it could cause reproductive issues.
- Breast exams: Women age 40 or older and those with a family history of breast cancer, should see their OB/GYN regularly to check for early indications of breast cancer.
- Pelvic exams: Women ages 21 years and older are advised to a pelvic exam each year. Women who suffer from menstrual disorders, vaginal discharge, infertility or pelvic pain, as well as women who are perimenopausal and suffer from abnormal uterine bleeding, changes in bowel or bladder function or symptoms of vaginal discomfort, should all receive pelvic exams annually.
- Pap smear: To check for cancer and other health problems, it is important to get a regular pap smear. Women age 21 and older should have a pap smear every few years.
- Birth control: An OB/GYN can prescribe birth control. Speak with yours to discuss family planning options and find out what type of birth control is right for you.
- Painful sex or cramps: If you begin to feel pain or discomfort during sex or suddenly begin to suffer from painful cramps, it is important to see your OB/GYN as soon as possible. It is not normal to suffer from this type of pain, and your doctor can help you figure out what the problem is and help find a cure.
It is important to take care of yourself. Make an appointment with your OB/GYN in Brooklyn, NY today.