If you’ve already broken your new year’s resolution to get healthy, it’s not too late to make lifestyle changes. There are lots of small changes you can make that can lead to a healthier, happier you, and you don’t need to put these changes off any longer. Here are some simple ways you can get healthier without spending a lot of money or needing hours at the gym.
Doing 10,000 steps a day, roughly five miles, sounds like a lot. But it’s very achievable, even by busy people. Some ways to get in more steps include:
- Walking the kids to and from school
- Taking a walk in your lunchbreak instead of sitting at your desk
- Cutting down on short car journeys
- Going for a walk after dinner
- Walking the dog more often
Even if you don’t get to the gym very often, simply ensuring you get your 10k steps means you get a decent amount of exercise each day. There are plenty of free apps to help you count your steps using your phone, so you don’t have to guess.
A balanced diet should, in theory, give you the vitamins and minerals you need, but if you have a busy lifestyle, it’s not always possible to keep track of any deficiencies. Buy supplements from Vita Health NZ and you can be sure that even on busy days, when you might just be grabbing takeaway food, you still get all the nutrients you need. There are supplements to suit all ages and stages of life available.
There are certainly lots of fad diets all over the internet, and while you may be tempted to try the latest diet trends, most healthy adults simply need to count their calories to maintain a healthy weight.
There are a few things you need to remember when you are calorie counting:
- Weigh or measure your food – people often underestimate how much they eat, so invest in some decent kitchen scales
- Look out for hidden sugars – some foods are low in calories, yet packed with sugars, so choose a calorie counting app that also tracks how much sugar you are consuming
- Know how many servings are in a packet – you’ll often find products that boast they are ‘only 100 calories’, but when you read the small print, there are several servings in a small package
Calorie counting is easy thanks to the many free apps available, and no food is off limits, as long as you practice portion control.
- Make healthy changes with your loved ones
Whether you are cutting down on sugary treats or trying to get more exercise, you are more likely to succeed with the help of friends and family. Get loved ones involved, and perhaps even bring out your competitive side by playing sports together or having your own biggest loser competition.
It’s not always easy to switch to a healthier lifestyle, so it’s better to make small changes over time, so they become habits that you naturally follow every day.
Hemant Kumar is a project manager at Tridindia with more than nine years of commendable experience in writing about LMS, translation, and IT. His unmatched talent and passion for digital marketing gave him the opportunity to work as a multi-tasking project manager at TridIndia’s sister company, Link Building Corp. Today, he contributes to the world by imparting knowledge on SEO, link building and internet marketing etc., that helps business owners grow their online business.